Acupuncture is a natural treatment involving the insertion of fine, sterile, single-use needles into specific points along energy pathways (meridians) on the body. It maintains a balance in the body and encourage the normal flow of Qi (energy) through the body. It is a holistic treatment which addresses not only the symptoms associated with a condition, but also the underlying cause of the condition.
Acupuncture has few side effects, is drug free and can be used in combination with other treatments. It is also relatively painless – patients may just feel a dull, heavy or tingling sensation during treatment.
The benefits of acupuncture extend to a wide variety of conditions. These include:
- Digestive complaints (nausea, vomiting, irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhoea, constipation)
- Mental health issues (anxiety, stress, depression, PTSD)
- Women’s health conditions (hormonal imbalances, menstrual pain, irregular menstruation, infertility, PMS, menopausal syndrome)
- Respiratory issues (sinusitis, asthma)
- Pain (headaches and migraines, muscle aching or tension, post injury/surgery recover, chronic/acute pain – in particular lower back pain, arthritis)
- Skin issues (acne, dermatitis)
- It can also assist in the relief of insomnia, allergic rhinitis/hayfever, weight loss, and in the maintenance of general well-being.