Burning sacred herbs such as sage, is a Native American tradition. It is a process of allowing the smoke from these herbs to clear negative energy from a person or space, and makes for a great ritual to create flow and energetically cleanse and purify a space to invite positive energy.
White sage (sometimes known as sacred sage) is highly valued as a ceremonial and ritualistic plant. It is said to have great spiritual and emotional benefits as well as cleansing properties. It is now used by many people for this purpose. Native traditions relate that wherever sage is used, no evil influences may enter. The sacred ritual of purifying with smoke (smudging) comes from many indigenous people around the world. A smudge stick can be used to purify the body, aura, pets, home, office and healing rooms.
The Benefits Of Burning Sage Sticks
The Latin word for sage ‘salvia’ comes from the word ‘heal. Burning the herb is one of the oldest methods of cleansing unwanted energy dating back thousands of years.
Here is how smudging with sage may help you improve your overall well-being:
- It is said to clear bacteria from the air, while also releasing negative ions, which has positive effects on your mood.
- Can help to ground us and bring wisdom, clarity and spiritual awareness. Use it for relaxation, focus and combatting everyday stress, by clearing the air and promoting mindfulness.
- It is believed that burning sage clears out pathogens, and may help keep infectious bacteria, viruses, and fungi at bay due to it’s anti antimicrobial properties.
- Has powerful antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities
- when you burn smudge sticks in your home or any other space, you are inviting positivity into your life.
How To Use A Sage Smudge Stick
- Light the smudge stick at the tip of the leaves and allow to burn for 5 – 10 seconds before gently blowing on the embers to create smoke.
- Let the smoke waft over your body, or slowly move around the space you would like to clear.
- gently wave the smudge stick in the air whilst stating some positive intentions.
- When you have finished, gently extinguish the smoke in sand or in a small dish of water.
- Be sure not to leave a burning sage smudge stick unattended.
- Store in a dry place for future use.
When you are shopping for a smudge stick, it is important to only choose California white sage, known as a white sage smudge stick. Look for organically grown without artificial sprays or fertilisers that are 100% pesticide free.
We love Luvin’ Life smudge sticks as they are are gathered in an ecological and respectful way and each bundle is individually hand-picked, rolled and packed.